Not only does this recipe taste amazing but it can all be made in about 20 minutes. It helps if you premake the rice (or use up old rice you have in the fridge) I made my own version of “Mexican rice” but you could use regular rice with some cilantro and lime juice. Additional recipes and ingredients for what you want to add will be later in this post. If you’re looking for a freezer friendly meal, this is it. You can make a double batch and freeze half to use for another day or camping.
Ingredients for Shredded Chicken:
2 Lbs Chicken Thighs
1/2 Yellow Onion
1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
A desired amount of salt
1/3 Cup Vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 Cup Sauce of choice ( I used Red Duck Hot Honey Chipotle )
1. Dice your yellow onion and set your instant pot to sautee. Add in oil and onion and cook until translucent. Turn off the instant pot.
2. Add in chicken, garlic powder, Salt, and broth and put a lid on instant pot making sure the valve is closed
3. Set your instant pot to pressure cook for 20 Minutes and let it do its thing!!!
4. Once done carefully release valve to release pressure ( be careful it will be hot!!)
5. Shred chicken with two forks and serve!
Optional and delicious additions
2 Ripe Avocadoes
pinch of salt
1/4 Cup Cilantro
1/4 Diced Red Onion
1. Cut up and smash avocado.
2. Chop up cilantro and red onion and mix in.
3. Add chopped cilantro and juice of one lime and mix!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and place a piece of wax or saran wrap on top to keep air from getting to the guac. This will keep it from browning.
My weird version of Mexican rice
1 Cup Organic White Sushi Rice
2 Cups Water
1 Tbs Avocado Oil
1 Tbs Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Diced Yellow Onion
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tbs Avocado Oil
1 Tsp Chili Powder
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- In a medium nonstick pan add in 1 Tbs Oil and heat to medium. Add in Onions and Rice and stir until the rice turns golden brown. Reduce heat
- Carefully add in water and tomato paste and turn the heat down to a simmer. Should take about 15 minutes for the water to absorb into the rice.
- I always taste the rice to make sure its where I want it to be. Add in the spices and stir!
- Add it to your yummy shredded chicken tacos or use this recipe for a side dish with some of your favorite taquitos!!