This recipe was made by my incredible husband using the Cappellos Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. [ found on their website ] He did add some modifications but you will notice a lot of similarities. Going gluten-free meant giving up chicken pot pies a long time ago. Well no more!! It tasted even better than I remember and super happy he found the recipe.
1 lb Chicken Thighs
2 Tbs Avocado oil
1/2 Chopped Yellow Onion
4 Tbs Ghee Sub
3/4 Cup Diced Carrots
3/4 Cup Chopped Celery
3/4 Cup Cubed Sweet Potatoes
1 Head of Broccoli Chopped
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp Parsley
1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F
- Prepare the chicken, salt and pepper both sides. In a medium pan over medium- high heat add in Avocado oil and wait till pan is hot. Add Chicken and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil. Add in Sweet potatoes and carrots and cook for 8 minutes. Add in the Broccoli and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain and run cold water over [this is called blanching] to stop it from cooking.
- Heat 2 Tbs Ghee in a LARGE skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery until both are tender.
- While that is cooking chop up your chicken into cubes.
- Add in the 2 Tbs Ghee, flour, seasonings and mix. Then stir in broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Mix in chicken and vegetables in and remove from heat. Pro Tip: If the mixture is too thick, dilute with additional broth/coconut milk.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with 2.5 Cappello’s Lasagna Sheets -rinse them in water so they become easier to move around and trim if necessary. No need to be perfect it will get a bit soggy for being on the bottom anyways. Add in the filling.
- Place remaining sheets over filling and crease the edges to look more like a crust or use a fork and smash the edges.
- Brush the top with olive oil and water to keep the crust from getting too hard. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Brush the top again after 15 minutes and place back in the oven to cook for another 15 minutes. [ 30 minutes ]
- To get a nice golden color on top, move your pie to the top rack and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Keep a close eye because it will burn.
The original recipe is on the Cappello’s website by Chelsea from @paleo.pals.
Corn free, Dairy-free, Paleo, Gluten-free, Soy Free, Grain Free.