I did my very first hot yoga class the other day and LOVED IT.
After being refereed by two different friends I decided I shouldn’t let this opportunity pass me by. I am so happy I tried this out! I was a bit worried at first for my lack of experience but the instructor Ann was very helpful in guiding everyone through the 26 poses.
I took their Friday night sixty minute class. Usually Bikram yoga goes for ninety minutes but this one was shorter because it was a community outreach class. Perfect if you don’t have much time to spare.
Bikram yoga was founded by Yogiraj Bikram. It uses a series of 26 poses and two breathing exercises that synchronize the sync together. Performed in a heated room with 40% humidity this allows the body to detox easily and allows your muscles to move fluently. The series of poses should always go in order to get the most out of the session. By utilizing, stretching, and contracting different parts of your body, each pose offers the opportunity for you to find your balance, stretch your ligaments, and strengthen your body. Mentally it promotes determination, self awareness, and balance by pushing you to maintain control of each pose. I love this aspect of Bikram Yoga. There was a point in which I was sweating profusely and started feeling light headed. Instead of giving up I simply reminded myself that I have control over my body and to breathe. A few deep breaths and I instantly felt better. Don’t forget to breathe!
For all my fellow Coachella Valley residences this place is phenomenal.
Currently they have a great new student special going on right now and classes 7 days a week.
I highly recommend trying this out for yourself. It was a great experience. My body felt so amazingly refreshed afterwards. I left the session full of energy and extremely clear headed. If I could give you one suggestion it would be to remember that you have complete control over your body. If you feel at anytime you need to rest during the class please do and don’t feel pressured if you fall behind or are unable to do some of the poses during your first session.
When going to your first class:
- Wear comfy clothes that are just tight enough that you won’t have to keep adjusting them during the 90 minutes. Also bring your ID.
- Drink lots of water and bring some with you. Take the class at your own pace and don’t forget to hydrate.
- Bring your yoga mat ( or rent one) and a big towel. You will be sweating and the towel helps a lot to wipe your hands and face off occasionally.
- Bring a hair tie if you have long hair.
- Leave your phones and electronics in the car. Depending on which studio you go to they will have a place for you to put your things in, but really just leave them at home.
- You will be guided through a series of 26 moves so remember to breathe and have fun!!
- Just breathe! This is a time for you to enjoy yourself and find your inner peace.
Disclaimer: Everything written above is my personal experience. I am in no way a doctor or suggesting Bikram Yoga will heal you of any of your ailments. Please consult with your physician.